Author Topic: Slither - Velvet Revolver Cover  (Read 297 times)

Offline Bereet

• VIP
Slither - Velvet Revolver Cover
« on: July 15, 2017, 12:16:53 AM »
Hello there,

This is a cover I did recently.  I've always loved the sleazy dirtiness of this riff, but I could never get it right.

Was he playing it differently?  Some kind of different attack?  Sliding the notes, hammering on, pulling off?

It was baffling me.

Then one day, work had been very busy and I had a day off in lieu.  I sat down with my guitar and looked for details of how to play it.  I actually found one from Slash.  In it, the first five seconds he tuned his E string to Dropped D.

And there it was.  I was trying to play it in STANDARD !!!

:handjob:

So followed a period of playing the riff over and over.

I then found a backing track, installed Tracktion, and this was pretty much an exercise in seeing whether I could make it through the song.

So you could file this under (well, there's probably quite a few things it could be filed under, non of them favourable), but let's say "Song Learnt In A Day".

What was I using?

My Vintage V100 AFD Paradise (of course).  Tuned down to Drop D (finally).  My trusty PODxt with Brit J-800 setting, straight into Tracktion.

I didn't use any VSTs or do any mixing really, and you can tell.

It's also not right either.  I come in to early on the start, I play over bits that are not correct, and the solo is wrong.

However, I did manage to make it through the song in one go, so in that respect, it was successful.

So, without further ado, I give you Slither, by me, all in one take.  :)

Offline ESD

• VIP
Re: Slither - Velvet Revolver Cover
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 12:28:15 AM »
Nice job Bereet!  I love this song but I'm not sure I ever learned it.  Maybe I'll have a go at it finally.  Nice tone on the guitar track by the way.  Take care.

Jeff
I need a good Sig...

Offline Pete

• Administrator
  • Incantator of Tone
    • GuitarMix
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 01:11:02 PM »
This ROCKS, Dave! Love the ballsy rhythm playing and tone. For your lead stuff and fills I'd add your usual mix of delay/verb/etc just to dress it up better and have it stand out. Very good playing though.  :thumbup:

I hope you enjoy using Tracktion. It has been my favorite recording software now for a decade. I thought it was lost forever when Mackie abandoned it but thankfully it is in great hands and progressing. I have some VSTs to share with you. I'll send 'em to you.

Oh and thanks for letting me know about a certain forumite. It's been taken care of.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Calling me a guitarist is like calling Jeffrey Dahmer a chef.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Bereet

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 07:24:28 AM »
Thank you, both of you:

ESD - I think I need to learn it too !   :D

Pete - I literally didn't do anything with it.  I used to have a better idea of what I was doing, but it's all lost now, so it was all one go.  I also didn't want to be messing around too much and just wanted to hear what it might sound like.

Besides, you were always much better at it than I was.  I remember sending tracks to you or Goport or Art for mixing and not quite believing it was still my recording that came back.

I did like Tracktion, I just didn't know how to use it properly, and I had the issue with my computer at the time, so using a computer full stop was a real pain.

Hopefully I am over that.  There always seems to be good deals on the extra bits so I am looking forward to trying out some more of it and recording some more stuff.

If it allows you to do looped recording easily, that would be great.

Once again, thanks for listening, hope to have learnt the next one a bit better and have a bit of a better mix.  The raw product is there though.

:thumbup:

Offline Pete

• Administrator
  • Incantator of Tone
    • GuitarMix
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 01:11:53 PM »
Free version of Tracktion (v5) is always available at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Bereet

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 02:35:33 AM »
Yeah, I downloaded that and the latest one.  Installed both.  Form first play around, I didn't see much difference between the two.

I'll no doubt buy the latest, but I need to play around with the free one first to make sure it makes sense to me.

However, your suggestions were always spot on, so I can't see any reason why I wouldn't use it.

Just need to get back into doing hundreds of takes again, as that is where the improvement in the quality is.

Then try to remember what I used to do with VST plugins and Ozone during mixing...

:-[

Offline Pete

• Administrator
  • Incantator of Tone
    • GuitarMix
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 03:32:49 AM »
I've long replaced Ozone with Tracktion Final Mix.

Maybe not as fancy as Ozone but it does the job very well for a fraction of the cost.

Offline TPB

• VIP
    • http://www.soundclick.com/tblue
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 04:34:21 AM »
Excellent loving the driving guitar
Tim