Author Topic: Anyone have any suggestions for a new Bass amp?  (Read 699 times)

Offline WIG

• ... get out of my head...
    • TellOnEveryone.com
Anyone have any suggestions for a new Bass amp?
« on: January 20, 2011, 08:35:17 AM »
Looks like the band I'm in is looking to get some small gigs.  We have a pretty powerful PA at our disposal.  Not sure of all it's details, but my buddy has used it to put on some pretty huge shows down at the beach to a VERY large crowd and space.  I really only need something that can pump out a good solid 100w to fill a smaller venue.  Anything bigger and I can use a direct out to have the PA compensate the difference.  Anyone have any experience in this area?  I've only been sitting in full time on Bass for a year or so.  I use my pedal and go direct to pro-tools and practice under head sets when we get together.  I haven't had to amplify out loud since we started. 
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
~ Mp3's and more @ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ~

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
Re: Anyone have any suggestions for a new Bass amp?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:59:43 AM »
If it's a small venue,.for bass,.IMO,..use this:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   
or this: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The bass player in our band has one and they kickass!!
I would go direct also and just use the amp for a monitor. You'll want to have some of the bass coming through your stage monitors too,.so the other guys in the band can hear you,.including guitars.

Our bass player just upgraded his main rig to this: Crazy good sound,.but expensive as hell. Well worth it though,.the sound from the rig is incredible.
Gallien-Krueger-1001RB-II 700 watts (4 ohms) plus 50 watt horn
bi-amp system into a 4x10 cab. Awesome!

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:17:21 AM by Johnny »

Offline Lippy

• Global Moderator
  • Resident Noize Doctor
    • band web site
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:07:52 AM »
I was a semi pro bassist for about 10 years and the only true rig for me was,and stlil is my trace elliot 115 combo.with twelve band eq ,every out known to man and 2 compressors.my bro in law still uses it in the band and it kickes ass!It's now 15 years old and is still going strong.If you where to get the same ,hand wired one now it would cost you a fortune.The new ones are done by peavey and are shit in comparison.
But..if Iwas starting out I would use the new Ashdown rigs.You will need at least 150watts to heard over a drummer and a good 15 inch speaker to spread the sound.I would recommend one of these 2.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   This one is about£260 over here.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   Better and only £350 over here.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login total pro 575 watts lots of toys sounds a lot like my trace...£500 over here
For the price you will not get a better bass amp.

Offline captain spasm

• VIP
  • It's never too late to rock!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 11:06:37 AM »
Also, for amplifying through the PA, definitely use a DI regardless ... whether it's taken from your signal chain BEFORE your amp, or as a preamp out from the amp. DON'T try to mic' the bass ... never works as well as you hope that way.

Offline WIG

• ... get out of my head...
    • TellOnEveryone.com
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:52:36 PM »
Yeah, Cap'n... i don't trust a mic, there is always some kind of feedback or other unforseen. 
~ Mp3's and more @ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ~