Author Topic: Floor controller for band lights....  (Read 674 times)

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
Floor controller for band lights....
« on: October 11, 2010, 06:07:18 AM »
Hi guys! Has anyone made a multiple switch floor controller to control your stage lights? I would like to make a floor controller to turn on and off our lights on the fly. I would like to plug all of lights into this controller and then have multiple switches so I can control each light by stepping on the switch. Is anyone an electrician here that could scetch this out for the right wiring? See pic below of idea....
Thank you.    

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline captain spasm

• VIP
  • It's never too late to rock!
Re: Floor controller for band lights....
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 12:35:41 PM »
ummm!

Got me there Johnny .. our lights are controlled by a desktop unit with sliders & push-buttons

Offline Stevie M

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 12:48:48 PM »
Hiya Johnny,
I'm not a sparks, but if I wanted to do that I'd go for something like this
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'd make a wooden box, put as many of these in as you need for the lights. How 'bout asking a local electrician/electrical contractor to maybe help out?

Offline Stevie M

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 01:00:43 PM »
Have a look at this too
It's actually how to make a foot on/off switch for a wood lathe, but just extend it a bit to put multiples in for your lights?

Offline Lippy

• Global Moderator
  • Resident Noize Doctor
    • band web site
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 03:50:20 PM »
Ermmm....what's wrong with buying a sound to light controller instead?I got mine off e-bay for 20 quid and It works a treat!

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 04:11:51 AM »
Thank guys. What I want to do Lippy is control the lights with my feet,.just a simple stomp box with switches that will turn off and turn on our lights on the fly or when I want them to come on/off. I know I can purchase a controller off any music store site, but you need a person to run it,.I wanna run them myself. I will talk to an electrician about this,.because I know there is a way to wire this into a single box with multiple switches and also a switch for "all" on or off.

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 07:44:48 AM »
I got it all together. Built the box and wired it myself. It was pretty intense to wire this,.but it works perfect. It has a master button (last one on right) to shut everything off at once,.this is great for ending a song!!
The 3 to the left of the master work 1 full outlet each,.the last 2 switches work the last outlet and are wired to shut off half of the last outlet.  I need to paint it black, put on the outlet covers and a few other odds an in's,..then it's ready to rock. I used 12 amp heavy duty vacuum switches from Home Depot and 14 gauge wire throughout. Now I can control all of our stage lights with a press of a button. Total cost was around $40. Pretty cool little control box.
Here are some pics.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:46:35 AM by Johnny »

Offline Pod God

• VIP
  • Just One Of The Guys!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 05:59:05 AM »
Hey that's pretty cool Johnny. Nice work!
Recently Played Tracks...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Pete

• Administrator
  • Incantator of Tone
    • GuitarMix
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 06:25:53 AM »
Dude, you could make money on the side with those mad skills! Nice work. I really have to make it out to one of your gigs.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Calling me a guitarist is like calling Jeffrey Dahmer a chef.

Offline TPB

• VIP
    • http://www.soundclick.com/tblue
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 08:21:03 AM »
You got it brother from another, Looks good Little black paint and you should be good to go. When you have all the lights cranked on what is the total watts you are drawing I will have my sparky guy check the load values so you are not melting any Recepticles.
Tim

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 09:42:12 AM »
You got it brother from another, Looks good Little black paint and you should be good to go. When you have all the lights cranked on what is the total watts you are drawing I will have my sparky guy check the load values so you are not melting any Recepticles.
Tim

Thanks man. Right around 900 watts. If I'm right,.14 gauge handles up to 15amps. This setup should be just fine with no melting.
 ;)  
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 09:46:27 AM by Johnny »

Offline TPB

• VIP
    • http://www.soundclick.com/tblue
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 11:47:52 AM »
You got it  I thought maybe you had some of those old school lights take lot of amps, So all is good
Tim

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 11:55:10 AM »
You got it  I thought maybe you had some of those old school lights take lot of amps, So all is good
Tim

Thanks man.