Author Topic: V-Band - Old John Finnley  (Read 2268 times)

Offline WIG

• ... get out of my head...
    • TellOnEveryone.com
V-Band - Old John Finnley
« on: October 19, 2010, 11:09:51 AM »
OK, so... I think it's safe to say a drummer in this mix would be a big plus.  I've posted a couple of ad's online looking for someone who can record themselves and might be interested in one of thes online collaborations.  Tim is going to check out some drummer sites to see if anyone is interested, and I will do the same. 

Tim took a couple passes with the song.  1 against the drums I put up, and another without.  He also made a few minor changes he thinks might work out.  He will post them when he gets a chance so we can hear his ideas.  I'm thinking the best bet is to go with the non-drum version without any question.  I've never been crazy about those drums, and really feel that they've limited the feel and other opportunities to spice it up a bit, add to it etc...

I also wanted to throw it out there... Makes the most sense to me to go with a rhythm track first to start us off.  If Per or Tony, either of you have any ideas of your own and want to present them, please do... I don't think any of us should feel put out.  Since this is original material, I think we have to pretend we are in the same room with one another.  So at this point you've heard my take on it as a starting point.  If there's 4 ideas for a rhythm idea, there is probably room for more than 1 anyway, and we might get inspried by each others ideas.  This is sort of 'new' territory, taking more than 2 people and trying to virtually mimic the nuances of a band.  And at the same time, I'm wide open for ideas on how to best organize this all so everyone can feel productive and that they are enjoying themselves.  Let me know your thoughts.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
~ Mp3's and more @ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ~

Offline Naifuzan

• VIP
Re: V-Band - Old John Finnley
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 02:52:07 AM »
As I told you before, I had some arrangement ideas for this tune. I tried to put most of the together to a little demo type thing today. Just rythm, no leads or vocals here, but here's what I did.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

First of all I play the intro, Em G C Em 4 times, and then hold the last em for a while. I'm thinking it might be an idea to add some slide leads or something over this, maybe. Then this intro comes back before and after the first chorus. I forgot to add it before the second chorus, but that might be an idea. But it comes again after it.
Also I tried to start real easy with just guitar and foot stomps, then add more and more instruments so the music gets more intense as the lyrics get more intense.
Well... enough babbling, just listen and see if there's something you can use, maybe :D

Offline Tony

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 03:27:01 AM »
I'm thinking it might be an idea to add some slide leads or something over this, maybe.
:D Not too sure about that, I think you went and did the whole thing by yourself,  :D. AWESOME job there Per.

Offline Naifuzan

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 04:17:47 AM »
It's just because I can't stop once I get going :D
I'm thinking we can throw a lot of this away and replace with new tracks from other people, if not throw it all away. I just did this to kinda show some ideas I had. I'm open for anything tho.

Offline TPB

• VIP
    • http://www.soundclick.com/tblue
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 04:31:52 PM »
Okay I did a take using Em G C then Em g B in the bridge first file is guitar 2nd is with some vocal using same pattern

Offline TPB

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 04:33:21 PM »
Short clip to show where the vocals sit also did this in e flat tuning

Offline WIG

• TellOnEveryone.com
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 08:42:13 PM »
Well now we're talking!  No worries Per, you brought through what we discussed in IM months ago to something much more tangible.  This song and Fixation were probably HEAVILY influenced by Regulator and Ghost off the Blast Tyrant album.  If you listen to Regulator, the intro and build are very similar to what you have here.  And Tim, you've put a nice grind on the rhythm, and some nice melody nuances into the vocal, kind of riffing off the original riff (an insecure vocal on my part, at least back when it was originally recorded).  The other thing I was thinking is that this song has a lot of room for some 3 part vocals, Tim, Per and myself that I think could really end up the best hook of all.  So, how to merge the minds... always comes down to drums.  The only thing I heard different Per is no tempo change at the end.  Now in this take with the group of us, I don't know if the 1 1/4 or double time (I'm no quantizer), is absolutely necessary, but that sense of things spinning out of control and "Finnley" catching up with his wife and brother, I think the song calls for it.  Sort of the hearts racing because they are being spooked.  So how to accomplish that with sequenced drums (cause I'll be damned if I know how I did it in my recording), or is it achievable without a real drummer is probably the real question.  I think that heavy build (well put across), could keep going and lead into that "hell" or angst of the song.  It still seems like we have to find someone with some drum savvy?  I don't know what do you guys think? 
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Naifuzan

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 12:28:38 PM »
  So, how to merge the minds... always comes down to drums.  The only thing I heard different Per is no tempo change at the end.  Now in this take with the group of us, I don't know if the 1 1/4 or double time (I'm no quantizer), is absolutely necessary, but that sense of things spinning out of control and "Finnley" catching up with his wife and brother, I think the song calls for it.  Sort of the hearts racing because they are being spooked.  So how to accomplish that with sequenced drums (cause I'll be damned if I know how I did it in my recording), or is it achievable without a real drummer is probably the real question.  I think that heavy build (well put across), could keep going and lead into that "hell" or angst of the song.  It still seems like we have to find someone with some drum savvy?  I don't know what do you guys think? 

I really just forgot about that drum speed up part. I think you just did double time drums in your version. I don't see how accomplishing that with something like ezdrummer would be a problem. But of course, a real drummer would be ideal, and add a lot to the song.

Also I wanted to listen to what TPB did, but I can't seem to find the clips! Help!

And where do we go from here? We've got some ideas, obviously, and now we want to put them together, together. Time to get organized!  :)
Organizing something like this is not my thing, tho. As you might have notices I have a tendency to get caught up in my own stuff and just doing everything on my own, in my own way, unless someone tells me more specifically what I need to do. And since it's your song I'm waiting for your guidance now, Steve!  ;D

Offline TPB

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 03:12:38 PM »
I am out right now will post when I get back if you wish Kept wigs chord progession heavier on the bass notes and bridged with a b tuned to E flat

Offline WIG

• TellOnEveryone.com
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 07:28:55 AM »
I've got some tracks from Per, with some things added / changed based on my last reply.  I am going to sit and scratch a vocal to see that it all lands together and then I think we can for sure, use his drums, percussion and possibly the acoustics.  They are in D, so I have to see how the vocal goes to the lower tuning.  I'll let you guys know how I make out.

Offline Tony

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 07:38:15 AM »
Cool! Can´t wait to listen. I´m sure it will sound great guys.

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 05:40:21 AM »
Looking forward to this.....

Offline WIG

• TellOnEveryone.com
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 07:05:49 AM »
We may have a drummer interested.  Per, I'm going to give him a sample of the last mix you sent me to see if he's interested.   will let you guys know.  If nothing comes of it, I will sit with it this weekend and check out how the vocals sit.  Per, do you mind doing an acoustic cut tuned to e-minor too?  Just incase that lower tuning doesn't work out, I can still move things forward.  Thanks,

Offline zbert

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 07:53:40 AM »
Hi All
My name is Tom and FWIW a "real" drummer. Wig found me on the Home Recording site. If someone can hook me up with a link to a mix without drums to the song I'll see what I can do to help. A mono mix would be best as I record to an Alesis HD24 unit. I'll post a link to my reverbnation page as soon as I load some pics of the drum set up for all to see. Hope we can do some work together.

Offline Pete

• Administrator
  • Incantator of Tone
    • GuitarMix
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 07:55:15 AM »
Welcome aboard, Tom.  8)

Calling me a guitarist is like calling Jeffrey Dahmer a chef.