Author Topic: Sonar Users. Tips,Tricks and How to's  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
Sonar Users. Tips,Tricks and How to's
« on: September 23, 2010, 11:06:56 AM »
Sonar Tips,Tricks and How to's
Hello everyone, tpb (Tim) suggested that I start a thread for Sonar users. A Tips and Tricks thread. So, here it is. I've been a Sonar user for years. I've used Sonar software since,..I believe Sonar LE.
I do know a lot about it and how to get things done, but then again, I'm still learning too. So, to all you Sonar users,.this is a place to post questions, tips and tricks.
If you're having any issues with a project post the bundle here and we can all take a look at it and give our suggestions to you for a better work flow and what not.

Please do not get off topic as I want to keep it clean and neat in here. If any posts are off topic, they will be deleted.

Johnny
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 05:25:45 PM by Johnny »

Offline TPB

• VIP
    • http://www.soundclick.com/tblue
Re: Sonar Users. Tips,Tricks and How to's
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 09:36:16 AM »
I know Johnny told me on the old site but I forgot I did a MIDI Piano piece in the key of C can someone tell me how to Change it to  the key of A or B# other than playing it again All help is much appreciated. I am working in 8.53 is this matters
Tim

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:44:45 AM »
Simple fix man,..Load the midi track in sonar and expand the window of that track. Follow the picture below.  :partytime:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline TPB

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 11:45:57 AM »
Thank you pop pop  most appreciated

Offline macman

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 05:23:54 AM »
Hi Johnny
Remember when you helped us produce Deep Purple Bad Attitude. There was an excellent effects chain in Sonar you applied to Rhythm guitar. You applied a compression and delay to a single rhythm track i had recorded and you made it sound stereo and huge. So I did not have to multitrack which would have ruined vibe of the tune.

What were those settings and how does that delay trick work as it was so clever?

I have dug everywhere for that Cakewalk bundle, I will look on an external drive as there may be a chance i kept it on that also.

thanks man & superb thread idea  :banana2:

Mark
Forever searching the man on the silver mountain

Offline TPB

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 06:19:55 AM »
That trick is called the HAss effect I am sure Johnny willl chime in with the settings I also have a plugin for this if you want
Tim

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi Johnny
Remember when you helped us produce Deep Purple Bad Attitude. There was an excellent effects chain in Sonar you applied to Rhythm guitar. You applied a compression and delay to a single rhythm track i had recorded and you made it sound stereo and huge. So I did not have to multitrack which would have ruined vibe of the tune.

What were those settings and how does that delay trick work as it was so clever?

I have dug everywhere for that Cakewalk bundle, I will look on an external drive as there may be a chance i kept it on that also.

thanks man & superb thread idea  :banana2:

Mark

Ahh,..the good old Hass affect! This trick was taught to me by Danny D and over the years I've learned that you have to be careful using it. When you hear this effect,..you're like holy fuck that sounds good,..so you think let me try it on this or that. You just have to be careful or your track will sound to spread and you don't want that.  So,.I use it just on guitars. Yes you can use it on other stuff too.  So with that said. The only thing you need is a stereo delay that has separate controls for each side.
I always use the Sonitus Delay in Sonar for this. Look at the pic below. You'll see that the left side is set for 0.1ms and the right side is set at 24.0ms,.all the other controls are set to 0,..except for the the mix control. That needs to be set to 100% wet.   
The only thing this does really is,.it brings the guitar signal in on the left side 0.1ms late (yes it's latency) but you'll never hear it because it's so minuet. The right brings it in 24.0ms later and that's how you get that big fat sound. You can adjust the right side to taste. If you adjust it to high you'll hear it to late and that fatness or spread will go away. So mess with it,.I found that between 20.0ms and 24.0ms is pretty effective,.but you can bring it down for less spread. You can also,.clone the guitar track, so you have 2 tracks of the same guitar part,.and take the second track,.and nudge it to the right one tick. In sonar you can adjust the amount of time/nudge,.by highlighting the track, going to "process" and select "settings" and adjust the milliseconds up or down for the amount of nudge. Either way works,.but I like using the Sonitus delay plug-in.   

This is a Beau Hill trick and also Danny uses this too and so do I.
On the same track insert the Sonitus Compressor before the delay. This will tighten up the guitars. Use these setting to get a reduction of close to 2db. Threshold: -24db,..Ratio: 1.1,.. Knee 30,.. Attack: 0.0ms,..Release: 0.1ms. Look at the pic below of how it looks. Now one thing about this,..when you set it up,..solo the track and leave the compressor up while it's playing so you can see it work,.. click on the bypass button on the compressor and listen if you hear a change in volume when you bypass the compressor. If it gets louder when you bypass it,..increase the gain on the compressor so when you bypass it,... it matches when it's in. You always want the volume to be matched (as close as possible) when you have the compressor in or out. 
Hope this helps out.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:35:22 AM by Johnny »

Offline macman

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 03:04:28 AM »
Thank you Johnny this is extremely generous of you. I will save this information!
Forever searching the man on the silver mountain

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 05:06:22 AM »
You guys heard this song before,.but I wanted you guys to her it again,..LOL. There are 4 rhythm guitars used in this one. Well,.2 really but different effects were used on all 4. Haas was used on each track making it sound like 4. Also what we did was use two different possessors. My Behringer V-amp pro was used and Danny's 2101,.but with the same guitar with different tones. I used my 7 string Ibanez. Love that guitar,..it's just mean sounding. I recorded the rhythm track twice,.playing along with the first to give it the effect of 2 rhythm players. There are slight differences in each track to make it sound big. Haas is really effective if used right with the combination of compressors and other effects. If you do it right,.your tracks will sound huge!
[mp3=200,20,0]http://guitarmix.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=32.0;attach=808[/mp3]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:08:53 AM by Johnny »