Author Topic: So what's in your studio?  (Read 3375 times)

Offline Pete

• Administrator
  • Incantator of Tone
  • Referrals: 4
    • GuitarMix
So what's in your studio?
« on: September 24, 2010, 05:45:16 AM »
I love to see others' workspaces - where they weave their craft. Show us your studio setup and discuss your favorite toys for making all that noise!
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Calling me a guitarist is like calling Jeffrey Dahmer a chef.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline NielsWK

• Shinigami
  • Referrals: 0
Re: So what's in your studio?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 12:16:35 PM »
Still a simple one,  got myself a Vox AC-15C1 combo,  also on its way is a Vox AC-4TV....for my panning delay and such:)
Use Nuendo as recording suite.
Right now I use the onboard POS sound card....hopefully I'll have a better one soon for this thing!
"BanKai"

Offline Pete

• Administrator
  • Incantator of Tone
    • GuitarMix
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 01:07:11 PM »
I have to take some pictures and post. I've cleaned up a lot and made quite a few changes to my setup.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Pod God

• VIP
  • Just One Of The Guys!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 01:36:25 PM »
I'm actually in the process of turning my sons room into a studio(he moved out last week). Should be fun:)
Recently Played Tracks...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 02:44:06 PM »
I'm actually in the process of turning my sons room into a studio(he moved out last week). Should be fun:)

That's great man,..my son is next to be moving and this is what I'm going to do too!!

Offline Tony

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 03:23:35 PM »
My trusty old 2003 PC went kapput two months ago. Still getting used to mighty Win7 and this new PC. But after visiting vettaville.nl looks like my old XTL and Line 6 Edit are slowly working about. I miss Audacity 1.2.6, but that´s alright, :D

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 05:05:55 PM »
My trusty old 2003 PC went kapput two months ago. Still getting used to mighty Win7 and this new PC. But after visiting vettaville.nl looks like my old XTL and Line 6 Edit are slowly working about. I miss Audacity 1.2.6, but that´s alright, :D

What are you using for recording software now man? I'm glad ya stepped up to a new box. Must be fast as hell.

J

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 09:12:14 AM »
I have to post some pics,.but I have a liquid cooled dedicated PC just for recording that never see's the internet. Sound cards are Presonus Fire Studios (firewire) with zero latency into Sonar 8.5 producers out to KRK Rokit 8s and just about every plugin you can imagine,.LOL. Secondary speakers are Altec Lansing 5.1s.  Room has been treated with IK Multimedia ARC- (Advanced Room Correction System). Very useful and if you don't have this,.you should see about getting it. It's a blessing to get your mixes right the first time.

Offline Pete

• Administrator
  • Incantator of Tone
    • GuitarMix
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 09:48:21 AM »
I just to take my mixes out to the car several times. The logic being if it finally sounded good in the car it was good to go! LOL!

Offline Pod God

• VIP
  • Just One Of The Guys!
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 10:23:13 AM »
Johnny, what do you think of the KRKs. My next purchase will be a set of monitors and I really don't know where to begin.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline SteveG

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 11:14:19 AM »
Still the MicroBR in whatever space I can find......

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 03:59:30 PM »
Johnny, what do you think of the KRKs. My next purchase will be a set of monitors and I really don't know where to begin.

To be honest,.I think the Yamaha NS10's are the way to go man. They are the standard,.but I wanted to try the KRK8s. I have to say I A/B-ed them against the NS10s when I purchased them and the KRKs have more bottom but that's about it and they are clear and can get loud.  But,.. if you are shopping, go with the NS10s IMO. Oh and also get IK Multimedia ARC. It is floating around for download somewhere!!??.
Alot of guys are using the Behringer ECM8000 condenser mic and getting the same result as buying the plugin. But,.I'm sure it would be more accurate if you got the real deal. One more thing man,.you should get a sub also. Big difference. My mix are usually bass heavy due to not having a sub,..so I'm always adding to much low end,.because that's what I'm hearing from my monitors. I'm going to be adding a sub soon,.so I don't get this issue any longer. 

« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 04:51:43 AM by Johnny »

Offline Pod God

• VIP
  • Just One Of The Guys!
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 06:53:04 AM »

To be honest,.I think the Yamaha NS10's are the way to go man. They are the standard,.but I wanted to try the KRK8s. I have to say I A/B-ed them against the NS10s when I purchased them and the KRKs have more bottom but that's about it and they are clear and can get loud.  But,.. if you are shopping, go with the NS10s IMO. Oh and also get IK Multimedia ARC. It is floating around for download somewhere!!??.
Alot of guys are using the Behringer ECM8000 condenser mic and getting the same result as buying the plugin. But,.I'm sure it would be more accurate if you got the real deal. One more thing man,.you should get a sub also. Big difference. My mix are usually bass heavy due to not having a sub,..so I'm always adding to much low end,.because that's what I'm hearing from my monitors. I'm going to be adding a sub soon,.so I don't get this issue any longer. 

Thanx for the info Johnny. I'm really wondering if I should invest in monitors or just get a really nice set of headphones. Seems I can only mix with the cans on most of the time anyway with the kids in the house and I wouldn't have to treat the room.

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 07:07:17 AM »
That's a good idea if that's what you need to do. Just to set this straight,.when I mix I don't mix loud at all,.I mix at a low volume. This goes for Danny Danzi too,.we both mix at low volumes. It's not needed to mix at a volume that is crazy loud. A lot of guys mix with head phones,..but you need a good set phones that don't color the sound. I forget what Danny uses for phones. I would PM him and ask,.because he told me the phones he does use,..he gets good results. I know it's alot of funds to get monitors and a sub and get the software to treat the room,.but it's worth even if you buy a piece at a time,.because the end result is good solid mixes,....that don't change between any type of stereo, car stereo,.home theater and so on. It will sound the same on all players and you won't be going back and forth from you car or whatever saying,."shit" it has to much of this or that and also wasting time and CD's. Once you get it sounding good in the studio using ARC and a good set of monitors and a sub,..it will sound good anywhere. It's a big time saver.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 07:16:44 AM by Johnny »

Offline sky1962

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 02:40:30 AM »
This is my room. 12' X 12', I record just using the Podxt - USB - PC.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 02:50:34 AM by sky1962 »
Born to Rock 'n' Roll.......since 1962