Author Topic: Studio PC took a crap!  (Read 894 times)

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
  • Referrals: 0
    • OLD SKOOL
Studio PC took a crap!
« on: June 07, 2011, 11:39:13 AM »
Hi guys,.a little bummed at this point.  I moved my studio PC to the new house hooked it all up,.pressed the power button and I get nothing! Checked the power supply and it's good. I have no idea what the issue would be. It worked just fine at the other house. I went as far as removing the ram and reinstalling it, video card,.and so on,.and I get nothing! The mother board is only about 1 1/2 old,.sooo I have no clue to what happened.! Any help would be great. I have so much on that PC to just lose. 

Offline Pete

• Administrator
  • Incantator of Tone
  • Referrals: 4
    • GuitarMix
Re: Studio PC took a crap!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 12:45:02 PM »
Going forward it's a good idea to set up an external raid device on which to store all your projects. Also, it's a very good idea to make an image of your main OS drive so that, in such a scenario as yours, you can easily buy another disk of the same size or larger and put the image on it in 5 minutes and you are back up. I read stories like yours, Chris', etc. and just cannot understand how you guys do not do these things.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Calling me a guitarist is like calling Jeffrey Dahmer a chef.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Pete

• Administrator
  • Incantator of Tone
    • GuitarMix
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 12:46:38 PM »
Great product. The free version takes care of the disk image I mentioned.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Lippy

• Global Moderator
  • Resident Noize Doctor
    • band web site
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 01:55:45 PM »
Sorry to hear that Johnny, major bummer!
Have you checked the connections to the main board from the power supply?I suspect as the pc has been moved something may have come.lose.I take it all the fans come on? Does it beep? lights? Or is it totally dead?

Offline TPB

• VIP
    • http://www.soundclick.com/tblue
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 05:08:26 PM »
If worst come to worse you can get a hard drive enclosure and copy transfer data from your old one to a new machine

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 05:14:11 AM »
Going forward it's a good idea to set up an external raid device on which to store all your projects. Also, it's a very good idea to make an image of your main OS drive so that, in such a scenario as yours, you can easily buy another disk of the same size or larger and put the image on it in 5 minutes and you are back up. I read stories like yours, Chris', etc. and just cannot understand how you guys do not do these things.

I use Acronis Pete..the problem is,.is that I can get all my projects of the computer,.but all the programes/software I can't. So I have to reinstall everything again. I didn't lose any of my work,.it just sucks that the mother board went after only a year and half. 

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 05:21:09 AM »
Sorry to hear that Johnny, major bummer!
Have you checked the connections to the main board from the power supply?I suspect as the pc has been moved something may have come.lose.I take it all the fans come on? Does it beep? lights? Or is it totally dead?

Yeah man,.completely dead,.the power supply is good and the hard drive is fine. Just no power at all to nothing. No fans,.no nothing. I jumped the power supply just to make sure it wasn't that and it works fine. I just can't get over moving it would do this. BUT I didn't mention that the PC on the move was in the bed of my pickup truck and I had it placed pretty good,.but I had to do a fast stop and it slid and hit the back of the bed of the truck pretty hard. Soooo,.with that said. I'm sure something broke on the mother board,.but I can't see anything that would be an issue. No broken parts. I took it all apart and reinstalled all the wires and hardware and still dead!! Oh well,.the next time I'll put a PC inside the truck on a soft seat. My bad I guess. What's weird is that there is nothing that seems broke. sucks all around. Time to build another PC. Sucks,..always money! 

Offline Pete

• Administrator
  • Incantator of Tone
    • GuitarMix
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 08:11:44 AM »

I use Acronis Pete..the problem is,.is that I can get all my projects of the computer,.but all the programes/software I can't. So I have to reinstall everything again. I didn't lose any of my work,.it just sucks that the mother board went after only a year and half.

That's why I said you should make an image of your OS drive. This way you don't have to go through the hassle of reinstalling OS and all your apps. I keep two images - a "clean" image from when I first have the OS and all Microsoft updates installed and an updated image that I take every week or so. With the latter, I'd only have to reinstall any software I installed since that last image was taken. So much easier. Acronis does this perfectly.

Moving parts are going to fail at some point. Being prepared for the event keeps the hassle very managable.

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 08:48:20 AM »

That's why I said you should make an image of your OS drive. This way you don't have to go through the hassle of reinstalling OS and all your apps. I keep two images - a "clean" image from when I first have the OS and all Microsoft updates installed and an updated image that I take every week or so. With the latter, I'd only have to reinstall any software I installed since that last image was taken. So much easier. Acronis does this perfectly.

Moving parts are going to fail at some point. Being prepared for the event keeps the hassle very managable.

I hear ya bro. I will do that from now on in. It's not worth what I'm going through now. I did put together another PC with 4 gigs of ram. I'm in the middle of installing all the recording software now. What a pain in the ass man. I also got all my Sonar projects off the old drive and all my audio. So at least that's a good thing!!