Author Topic: Cinnamon Girl  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Pete

• Administrator
  • Incantator of Tone
    • GuitarMix
Cinnamon Girl
« on: September 29, 2010, 06:44:36 PM »
Well you guys inspired me to record a full song, the first one in about two years.

I grabbed a backing track of Neil Young's Cinnamon Girl (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) and fired up my old DAW software of choice - Mackie Tracktion 2.

My PC is just an old quad core workhorse. For my guitar tracks, I used my old Roland Micro Cube. I choose the Marshall settings and added some delay. I plugged the Roland into my M-Audio Firewire 410 which feeds the audio to my PC. I used the 410's XLR connection for my mic input. The preamps are quite nice on this device. The mic used on the vocal track is a Shure Beta 57A.

I love the Micro Cube for recording. It is way easier to dial in a great sound than fucking around with my PodXT and playing with different patches, params, etc. The Cube just sounds GOOD.

I used my 27 year old Kramer Pacer for laying down the guitars. Btw, I'm panned left. My vocals are dead center.

Here's a screenshot of my Tracktion session while farting about with different VSTs for sound. I LOVE Tracktion for the easy as shit interface. Everything you need is on ONE PAGE. It's extremely efficient.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here's the track. Btw the way, vocals are far from my forte so if anyone would like to take a shot at the vocals I'd gladly remix this whole thing and add them.

Cinnamon Girl
[mp3=200,20,0]http://stubble.org/music/cinnamon_girl.mp3[/mp3]

Thanks for giving this a listen.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Calling me a guitarist is like calling Jeffrey Dahmer a chef.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline TPB

• VIP
    • http://www.soundclick.com/tblue
Re: Cinnamon Girl
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 04:24:17 AM »
Sounded good I might take a crack at the vocal when I get back into town, it would be next week sometime. It sounds well put together Thanks
Tim

Offline Pete

• Administrator
  • Incantator of Tone
    • GuitarMix
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 11:02:41 AM »
Thanks, man. Let me know about the vocals as I'd be interested in hearing you sing on this.

Offline SteveG

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 11:35:53 AM »
Cool  ;D Vox not that bad either mate, nice.

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 12:17:42 PM »
Wow bro! Fucking badass. Love this tune and the mix is really great. You nailed the tone perfectly.
Very nice.

Offline ESD

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 12:01:35 AM »
Nice sounding track!  I don't know about the vocals though, ol' Neil is a tough character to follow!  Good luck with that search.

Jeff
I need a good Sig...

Offline solitude

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 08:18:53 AM »
Great job mate.The mix was clear & clean.An enjoyable cover to listen to ***** from me. 8)
Well, I lived in magic solitude,
Of cloudy looking mountains,
And a lake made out of crystal raindrops

Offline Naifuzan

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 11:41:21 AM »
Sounds great. Only problem I have with the vocals is that they're a bit low in the mix. But hey... I do that all the time myself when I'm not confident in my vocal performances, so I can't really complain  ;D

Offline gragger

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 10:23:14 AM »
nice track and sounded great! I think the vocals are smashing and everything sounds great stingx!

that's a cool idea to post the track picture. awesome man!!

Offline Pete

• Administrator
  • Incantator of Tone
    • GuitarMix
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 12:07:22 PM »
Thanks guys!

I was just pointed to line6.com where they have three new HD pods available! I still have my old PodXT and must investigate to so-called HD factor of these floor pedals. A lot of time it's just hype and I hear no discernible difference but, hey, you never know.

Offline Pete

• Administrator
  • Incantator of Tone
    • GuitarMix
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 05:11:13 AM »
Tim, I saw your message to send you the track. Sorry, was involved in other stuff and never got back. I'll send them out to you when I get home later. I would really love to hear your take on this track. Thanks, man.  8)

Offline macman

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 07:08:26 PM »
I love this tune and you nailed the Guitar Tone, sounds wonderful. Vocals worked well for this. You should be proud of this nice cover. You reminded me how much I like this song. Thanks  ;)
Forever searching the man on the silver mountain