Author Topic: One handed typing... LOST MY FINGERTIP!!!  (Read 949 times)

Offline WIG

• ... get out of my head...
    • TellOnEveryone.com
One handed typing... LOST MY FINGERTIP!!!
« on: October 03, 2010, 12:01:21 PM »
Well, I completely f'd up.  Caught the tip of my finger in a chop saw yesterday.  Lost a good chunk in the saw, a bunch of stiches, etc...  It's my left pointer and I play lefty.  Mostly playing bass these days in the band so I'm looking at 3-4 weeks easy before I'll be playing again, and it might have to be with a pick for a while.  Needless to say.... I'm pretty bummed. 
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
~ Mp3's and more @ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ~

Offline Lippy

• Global Moderator
  • Resident Noize Doctor
    • band web site
Re: One handed typing... LOST MY FINGERTIP!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 12:56:33 PM »
Man that is a total bummer! Hope it heals soon mate!

Offline Naifuzan

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 01:09:32 PM »
That sucks! I work with a band saw quite a lot, so doing something like that (or worse) is a bit of a fear for me. Would suck not being able to play! I wish you a speedy recovery!

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 01:53:42 PM »
Man,.that is bad news and I'm sorry to hear that.  When I'm building anything, I'm so f-in careful,.but there's always a chance of the worst. I really hate power tools. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Offline WIG

• TellOnEveryone.com
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 02:08:55 PM »
I've been around power tools my whole life with a very strict father and grandfather always preaching safety.  In my mind this could never have happened with how precautious I am.  Well, there's nothing full proof, in this case all the precautions or not, couldn't have prevented it.  Hurts something ferocious... it will definitely cause me to be gun shy the next time I'm working with any power tools. 

Thanks for the best wishes guys!
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Pete

• Administrator
  • Incantator of Tone
    • GuitarMix
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 02:50:04 PM »
Wow! Sorry to learn of your injury. You gots ya be more careful, Spider. Hope it heals quickly.

Calling me a guitarist is like calling Jeffrey Dahmer a chef.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Johnny

• VIP
  • Got Guitar?
    • OLD SKOOL
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 03:29:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've been around power tools my whole life with a very strict father and grandfather always preaching safety.  In my mind this could never have happened with how precautious I am.  Well, there's nothing full proof, in this case all the precautions or not, couldn't have prevented it.  Hurts something ferocious... it will definitely cause me to be gun shy the next time I'm working with any power tools. 

Thanks for the best wishes guys!

I would imagine it would Wig. I broke my right hand when I was younger,.the bone in the top part of my hand that connects the ring finger before the knuckle. It was sticking through the skin and now has a plate that connects the bones to keep them together. I wasn't able to play guitar for 6 months after that happened. It was the most painful thing I ever felt in my life. To this day if the weather changes,..it hurts.  It just sucks when shit like that happens. I feel for ya bro!   

Offline ESD

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 11:18:17 PM »
Sorry to hear about your finger man, that sucks big time.  As bad as it is though, it sounds like you be able to get back at it guitar wise.  Hang in there Wig!!

Jeff
I need a good Sig...

Offline SteveG

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 04:33:58 AM »
Ouch!!! Bummer ... at least it was not the other hand tho.....

Offline canyoncarver

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 07:31:56 PM »
I am very sorry to hear this. Get well quick and take the necessary vitamins to help speed up recovery.

Offline WIG

• TellOnEveryone.com
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 11:50:51 AM »
Thanks guys, gotta say I'm a little down in the dumps over it.  It hurts more than I thought it would and it's just a pain to do everything one handed.  I'm going to band practice on Thursday regardless and will have to get creative between now and then as to how I can contribute.  I plan on getting behind the mic a little bit, maybe I'll try and figure out my harmonica? 

Offline sky1962

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 04:09:38 AM »
Sorry to read about this, Hope it mends quickly.
Take care.
All the Best Steve
Born to Rock 'n' Roll.......since 1962

Offline Pod God

• VIP
  • Just One Of The Guys!
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 07:22:33 AM »
Sorry to hear that man. Ouch! Hope it heals fast.
Recently Played Tracks...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline thefallenangel

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 07:47:30 AM »
A friend of mine chopped the top of his finger off with a lawnmower.
He had to get a prosthetic finger addon.

He still plays guitar though.

Offline WIG

• TellOnEveryone.com
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 11:46:04 AM »
Just an update, stitches were removed a few days ago.  There's a lot of scabbing still so not able to tell yet if I have lost any feeling in it for good or just emp.  Just feels like I have a hard shell wrapped around it.  Still needs some time I guess.  Played with a pick yesterday and it wasn't quite right, couldn't feel the pick with my pointer so my playing felt sloppy.  Could just be 2+ weeks off too.  I'm sure it's definitely the lack of feeling though.  Too soon to tell I suppose, I guess I have to wait it out.